1981-09-26 Paradiso, Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Source 3
A good audience recording. The audience is so quiet that you might mistake this for a soundboard recording. It's sourced from the video of the concert, but it doesn't have the terrible buzzing and ringing noises throughout like the circulating DVD has. It is more hissy and muffled in comparison, but I'll take that over the grating buzzing noise on the DVD audio that gives me a headache after a few minutes. I applied a couple notch filters to remove the ringing noise around 15.5khz that was present on this tape - no harm done since no music actually reaches frequencies that high, in this case.
Any Second Now is missing the very beginning, Big Muff only has the first few seconds of the song present (and so I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead may be missing the first couple seconds), and Dreaming Of Me was missing about 45 seconds at the end (which I patched using slightly cleaned up DVD audio - even then, the DVD audio has a glitch in it too). Television Set is missing the last couple seconds and The Price Of Love is missing the first couple seconds, probably due to a lousy edit. For some reason, the recording gets more muffled after the first two tracks - had the recording stayed with that amount of frequency response throughout the whole thing, this definitely would have been a better contender against the DVD soundtrack audio.
Dave refers to What's Your Name? as "Pretty Boy", a working title for the song.
You can listen to this entire recording below.
- [3:16] Play Any Second Now
- [3:35] Play Photographic
- [3:06] Play Nodisco
- [4:23] Play New Life
- [3:31] Play Puppets
- [4:05] Play Ice Machine
- [0:03] Play Big Muff
- [2:21] Play I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead
- [3:19] Play Tora! Tora! Tora!
- [3:50] Play Just Can't Get Enough
- [2:42] Play Boys Say Go!
- [3:04] Play (Pretty Boy) What's Your Name?
- [3:18] Play Television Set
- [3:59] Play The Price Of Love
- [3:27] Play Dreaming Of Me
- Total time: 47:56
- unknown taper and equipment -> unknown generation Maxell XLII 90 Epitaxial cassette, 1982 - 1984 stock -> Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 (fresh belts, upgraded capstan motor, playback amplifier capacitors replaced, tape wound & rewound before transferring, azimuth optimized) -> Monoprice heavy-duty RCA to 3.5mm cable -> ASUS Xonar DX sound card -> in Adobe Audition CC 2014.2: notch filters as required to remove ringing noise, automatic phase correction (most accurate settings), normalized to -0.1dB and any DC bias removed, ending of Dreaming Of Me patched using video source -> WAV (32/96) -> tracked using Audacity 2.1.0 -> WAV (32/96) tracks -> FLAC 16-bit 44.1khz using FLAC 1.3.1 64-bit (level 8 compression) and foobar2000 v1.3.8 with its Resampler (SoX) component v0.8.3 (best quality), dithering enabled
- Generation: unknown
- Transfer: DMLiveWiki
- Cassette tape photos & auCDtectTaskManager log included
- Download via torrent - FLAC 16-bit 44.1khz - 265MB